Wednesday 11 April 2007

oh Canada!

Sidney by the sea,Vancouver Island. I could live here in a heartbeat. Am thinking of doing so in fact. If I don't report for work, you know where to find me.

Well, Em met me at the airport holding up a sign that read "Strange Australian Woman" (Oh HA HA. slap) much to the amusement of the woman standing next door to her. The flight had been delayed due to yet another set of luggage boarding the plane sans owner. All the luggage had to come off and the absconders removed and the hold reloaded before we could leave. But I digress...

Chance and I got to Eagle airport and I checked in with 4 minutes to get through security and on the plane. Hee. You guessed it. I got searched. Not my bags. Me. I was beeping even though I had no metal on me besides the rivets on my jeans. Got the full pat-down which took sooooooo long... Anyhoo, Finally got through that and repacked my carry on and got shoes on and all that and did make the flight. Had to go via Dallas Fort Worth and let me tell you how big that airport is. That airport is fecking HUGE. To make my connecting flight to Vancouver I rode a train that took 5 minutes to get to the other terminal. sigh.

I had the whole row of seats to myself. Sheer bloody luxury lad. Who needs first class??

When I got to Vancouver, the plan was to catch the ferry across to Vancouver Island but due to the delay we had missed the last one by one minute. Sigh. So off to a motel we went and then went out for something to eat. It was great.
Next morning we got on the ferry well, we got in a bus that eventually drove on to the ferry. Big ferry. We had delicious buffet breakfast as we powered through the teeny islands and gorgeous scenery. I will put photos up when I get my lazy ass on to it.

Em's dad man met us at the ferry terminal and we then zoomed off for a drive around the south part of the island. Sooooooooooooooo prettttty. All trees and moss and lichen and green and wet. Rainforest, gotta love it. Went to a little gorgeous place called Point No Point.

Me: This is called Point No Point?
Em: Yes
Me: What's the point in that?
Em: There is no point.
Me: That's the point?
Em: Yes.

The clam chowder was to DIE FOR people. Eating that looking over the little bay where there were seals swimming. Each table in the cafe had binoculars and Em's dad told a funny story of people down on the beach who were nude sunbathing once while the polite Canadian diners pretended not to notice. LOL. The manager had to go down and tell them that a restaurant full of people could see them.

Em and I are staying in a lovely bed and breakfast right in the middle of Sidney. On Monday we went shopping in Victoria because I need something decent to wear to the Empress Hotel when we go for afternoon tea. Get that! Me being posh, LOL. Around here
there are heaps of places to shop and poke around in and there is even a pirate shop Merri. Yes I am going in there. Don't panic. The sea here is grey but beautiful. The seagulls are freaking huge as is just about everything squirrels included. Yesterday I mistook a squirrel for a small cat.


Canadians are friendly and talkative. Bus rides are full of the sound of people chatter. Everywhere else I have been, the people are silent and try not to make eye contact. Paranoia. Here the people are relaxed and seem genuinely happy. Really. People smile at you as you go by. Can't work out if it is pathological or paradise.

I am well and happy and wondering how I will ever fit back into work and normal life again... off to explore some more of this wonderful place. Back with photos later.

2 Comments:

At 12 April 2007 at 7:38 am , Blogger Dragons said...

*twitch*

There is a pirate shop? Omg. Omg. Omg.

Also, am glad to hear that Em has retained her sense of humour. 'Strange Australian Woman' indeed. Guess she has you pegged. ;)

Keep enjoying yourself!! & Say hi to Em for me. <33

 
At 13 April 2007 at 2:29 am , Blogger Dee... said...

Yes, Merri. You can buy shirts that say 'Pirate Princess' or 'Scurvy Free'. My personal favourite, though, is 'The beatings will continue until morale improves'. They have flags and gold coins and, and, and, it's just your kind of shop.

Eat yer heart out. LMAO

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home