Monday 26 March 2007

Busman's holiday anyone?

Righto, that was a good sleep. The story continues...

The next day, Thursday, I went to Skaila's college and spoke English to her English class. The teacher wanted them to hear a native English speaker because as you know, in Belgium they speak just about everything else. I said that I am Australian and therefore don't really speak English. LOL. It was nice. They wanted to know about spiders (How big are they? Do they come in the house?)and snakes (Do you see them all the time?) and kangaroos (I said they feast on human flesh). Sigh. I showed them our currency (oooo shiiiny they said). There were lots of questions about the cost of living and spiders. Some people asked questions about spiders. Spiders were a popular topic. I took a photo of the class which I will post with a whole lot of other photos that are in my camera. So, there I am at the front of a class of students... on my holiday!!! They were sweet considering I am a nutcase.

I have been to a Belgian castle! We went to one called Horst which was built in the 14th Century in a moat and all. It was unfortunately not open so we could not go inside but could walk right around. It is surrounded by mud which we tromped through (yay hiking boots! I win!!!!)We had lunch in the restaurant and I had Kriek which is a beer with black cherries OMG it is yuummy but Kevin said he doesn't like it. I think it is not a blokes drink really - one for the ladies. I liked it so much that I ahem, 'borrowed' the drinking glass. Sheila drove back and I enjoyed the countryside - little villages, green fields, rabbits. We dropped Kevin at his place and returned the car to Glenda's mum who gave me Belgian beer drinking glasses OMG I only wanted one and she gave me like four. Skaila is posting them home C.O.D Jess. (I really don't drink much people. I just realised that I am always talking about drinking.) Anhyhoo, the beer in Belgium is very strong - some like 10% alcohol content and there are so many types it is impossible to get bored. I think Kevin wanted me to fall down drunk - It ain't gonna happen, mate.

On the way to the bus stop Skaila and I went to the store to get cheese and crackers. Mmmmmmmm cheese. Fringed One, eat your heart out. Cheese goooooooood. We ate it when we got back to the studio. Then I packed for Boston. Next morning Skaila and I went on a hunt for a strap for my luggage, went into a CD store (Free Records) and I bought the Kooks CD and a soft funky cover for my pod. The shopping in Leuven is good - some VERY classy stores with prices to match. It is non-touristy at this time of year which is a joy. Most shop people speak English really well so I had no problems there. The best purchase I made though was the purple and yellow squishy cow which I gave to Skaila. (Oh and the chocolate. Mmmmmmmmmmm chocolate.) She loved it LMAO. Did I mention that she forgot to pick me up at the airport?

Also went into the very large church that is in the centre of the town which was nice. No stained glass though like in English churches.

I enjoyed my time there very much. Thank you Skaila for your hospitality and for introducing me to Kevin and Glenda who are great fun. I am sure I have left things out in this post but will catch up when I post photos that will jog my memory.

I am currently day 2 in Boston and sitting up comfortably in my lovely room looking out at the gray day. I have internet access (thank you, thank you, thank you). For the first time on this trip I am on my own. It is nice in a way. I will wander down the street to Starbucks in a minute and get a bucket of coffee. My B&B is in the North End, the oldest part of Boston and the US too, I think. Loads of lovely old brownstone buildings. Very close to town and eminently walkable. But I will start at the beginning...

It was exactly 0 degrees when I landed at the airport. Snowing. Preeettty to look at. Tired due to no sleep. Managed to keep clothes on going through immigration and security which was a relief. Fingerprinted and photographed. Luggage pickup was painless and has been at all the airports actually. Went through customs and declared a suitcase full of Belgian chocolate but was waved straight through. Taxi ride that went in the wrong direction because the driver only had two neurons. Got to the B&B about midnight. Heaved my bags up 4 flights of stairs. SHOWER! OMG I loooooove you shower. Fell into bed wet hair and all. Woke up next morning. Hair vertical. Mirror at foot of bed not good idea. Explore fridge. Hmmmmm waffles, maple syrup, yogurt, English muffins, cold piiiiiizzzza (no that is someone else's)and TEA!!!! they have TEA!!!!!! JOY. (pokes tongue at Skaila - you and your tealess country). Fortified, I set out to use the laundry facilities and then walked to the New England Aquarium to meet Jen, Andrea and their Mum.

They were late because of terrorist training on their train line. I am confused, are they training people to BE terrorists? Anyhoo, we did the greeting thing and then off into the aquarium which was just great. They had little sharks (tee hee).

After that we went to the market place where the food OMG!!!!!! Bought a giant pizza for $11.95 and gobbled that down between us. Wandered off after that along the Freedom Trail. Saw the spot where the Boston Massacre was. Drifted into Borders and found out that the book I want to fix up the website was in the other store downtown. So headed off for there and walked and walked past Boston Common and the Theatre District. Found book yay. Chatted up book guy. Sigh. Walked back through Boston Common which was full of people, to Park St station then train and home.

Boston is clean and attractive. The harbour is a bonus and I stood for a while there in the morning just breathing in the cold air and listening to the different bird calls. I miss Australian magpies, sob. There was a big pile of old snow... I kicked it when no one was looking.

Jen and her family are great fun. Andrea gets lost and chases pigeons. Jen likes following red lines on the footpath. I had a great day but boy was I tired when I got in. Today we are off to Harvard. More later and hopefully, photos next time.

Love and miss you all. Is great to be on the same side of the world as Mark and Chance and Em and all you US folkeses though. See you next time...... weeeeeee!

6 Comments:

At 26 March 2007 at 8:45 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sif first post didnt show! Glad to hear that you having an awesome time! We all missing you heaps, especially the dogaloooo! Have heaps of fun and keep warm!

 
At 26 March 2007 at 8:58 pm , Blogger J said...

They weren't all red! Some were grey bricks! And Andrea... well she's blonde. I liked the squirrel, personally.

 
At 26 March 2007 at 9:41 pm , Blogger SPOC said...

Jeeeeeeeeeeeen, whack her for me, or Joan when she reads this. Grrrr.

ONCE, ONCE i forget someone, not like it was someone important but ... ahem

Coffee is good, accept it.

 
At 27 March 2007 at 7:08 am , Blogger Dragons said...

Wow. There are castles in Belgian? Who would have thunk?

Am so glad you managed to keep your clothes on, and vertical hair is making a come back. *nodnod*

Of course people are being trained to be terrorists. How else are they going to learn? Silly.

ps - i quit Target. Um. Yaye?

 
At 27 March 2007 at 10:17 am , Blogger p said...

Soooo lots of chocolate, silly thought, but is any of it going to make is back home

 
At 27 March 2007 at 12:25 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely to have you in the States! *quick everyone, hide the breakables, Dee has arrived* :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home