Wednesday 4 April 2007

Way down South (Sarth to you Nikki lol)

Boston to Raleigh, North Carolina

I’m in the South, folks. Well, I have been since Tuesday last and it has been a blast. I have been staying with Joan and her husband, John who have shown me real Southern hospitality. I have been shown around the beautiful countryside, fed, taken to the zoo, shopped and cared for.

But to start off, I arrived and Joan met me at the airport. When I left Boston it was raining and about 45 degrees F, in Raleigh it was 83 and sunny – WAAAAARRRM!!!! I had not packed any summer clothing so we went out of course and bought some after we went and had steak sandwiches and beer for lunch. YUM ! Back to Joan’s cute house and time for a shower and tea.

Joan had planned to take me to the beach the next day so we packed overnight bags and settled down for the evening. Unfortunately, the next morning I woke up with a stinking headache, stuffed nose and lethargy. A mix of jet lag, constant traveling and changing climate and POW! Dee was out of circulation for the day. Joan had to cancel the accommodation bookings and all and jeez, what a shit. But there was nothing I could do, I had to just stay in bed and sleep it off. By the end of the day with the help of gallons of water and cold and flu capsules, I felt better. By next morning I was well enough to go out with Joan. We both got manicures and pedicures, had lunch, coffee, Ben and Jerry’s ice cream and shopped. In the evening we went out for dinner to the 42nd
Street Oyster Bar where I had LOBSTER! - and bought a great souvenir glass which weighs a tonne. Today we went to the North Carolina Zoo where the people were often more entertaining than the actual animal exhibits. It was a great day. I am now sitting here, typing into Word, because Joan’s internet is down. Monday, I am in Chicago and meeting with Chance before flying on to Colorado. I will be cold again. Today I was at the zoo in Capri pants and shoestring top. Monday, I will be back in sweaters.

Raleigh is a very pretty place. It is real spring there and the Dogwood trees are all in flower. Such a pretty tree with lovely white flowers almost like a McCartney Rose. There are pink ones too and they are all over the place. The winter-bare branches of the other deciduous trees have a mist of light green as the new leaves emerge from buds. I was surprised to see so many pine trees – they are everywhere. Joan and I went for a walk around Shelly Lake one day which was lovely. The surrounding land is all natural woods with a walkway and people passed us walking their dogs or jogging (you’re still gonna die people. Why not walk?) Saw a couple of critters – squirrels and the State bird the Cardinal which is bright red. There were Canadian Geese and ducks on the lake and heaps of turtles swimming about.

We went on lots of drives around the place and saw where the posh people live.

Joan made her grandmother’s coconut and pineapple cake and John cooked a wonderful breakfast one morning and I ate grits for the first time. On my last night Joan did Southern fried chicken YUMMY!!!

Thanks Joan and John. I had a wonderful time even if your cat did near knock ma leyag orff while I was standing in the hallway and even if you did laugh at me for wanting to get in the drivers side of the car all the time. (hmph its you lot who have things backwards). I loved my stay there with yawl and I love you.

4 Comments:

At 4 April 2007 at 9:54 pm , Blogger J said...

...southern talk. Frightening.

 
At 4 April 2007 at 11:07 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mother-Figure,
You appear to be assaulting the world community with your capacious personality! I applaud you.
I too suffered from the dreaded flu/cold/travel-virus thingie not once but twice in the space of two short weeks. It sucked and blew at the same time.
Byeee
Tristan

 
At 5 April 2007 at 8:38 am , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a bummer getting sick on your hols.
timbo

 
At 5 April 2007 at 9:57 am , Blogger Dragons said...

Huzzah for zoo's and cute animals! Not so huzzah for being ill and having to cancel going to a beach. Never fear though, from here out it will all be cold & then when you return home it will be cold again. So it's smooth sailing from here on out.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home