Friday 20 April 2007

It was sunny all day yesterday...

...and the good denizens of Sidney walked around the town without their Goretex coats on!!! I kid you not. I goofed around at the B&B then went for lunch with Em after which I sat in the cafe next door and drank tea and ate mango passion cheesecake whilst writing cards to send to all and sundry. Then I put in a few solid hours on my book (Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides if you must know)as I sat on a park bench overlooking Roberts Bay. It was horrible and I was glad when it was time to go home. LOL. Em and I had fresh sole and vegies for dinner followed by fruit salad with raspberries, strawberries and stuff. But get this: you can buy a CRATE of strawberries, huge strawberries, for $6.50 Canadian. OMG. Food is so much cheaper here.

Anyhoo, thought I would post a map so you can see where I is. The red arrow points to Sidney where I am staying and the green arrow points to Tofino where Em and I will be going overnight on the 28th April. I think. The yellow dotted line between the island and the mainland is the border between the USA and Canada.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I love it here. The only thing that worries me about living here though is death by 1) earthquake and 2)tsunami. The west side of the island is extremely vulnerable to tsunami as is in fact the whole island. At least on the east side you get the warning of houses and stuff floating by from the west to alert you to the fact that something is not quite right... I am seriously tempted to spend a couple of years in BC though. Having said that, the pull of Australia is SO STRONG. I don't think I could leave there permanently. Sigh. I am all thing and internally windswept about the whole business.

In other news...
Em and I were waiting for a bus and I spotted a snake curled round a small branch just lying there in the grass at the side of the bus stop. He was sooooooo cuuuuuute and I wanted to keep him and call him Squishy and make him mine. I didn't though. The mean men at Australian Customs wouldn't have liked that.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


I came across a pod of logs that had beached themselves. Their navigation systems must have gone wonky or something. Sad, eh?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

You can stop looking. I have found it...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Average sized moth sighted in Butterfly Gardens.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Actually, it is called the Atlas Moth and is the freakiest thing. It just sleeps all day in the tree (like a koala) and only moves at night (unlike a koala which doesn't move at all if it can help it) and as you can see it resembles a low flying aircraft in size.

I've seen a cockatoo!
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Me with 2 flamingo at the beautiful Butterfly Gardens. We had a great time there in the heated environment while it bucketed down with rain outside.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Just don't ask...
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

The following is part of the interior of the place we are staying at. It's for sale if you want to buy it - $800,000 Canadian. Not bad seeing as it has separate business premises out the front and a fully self contained flat at ground level, 5 bathrooms and 3 bedrooms and an office area in the main house.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
I'd show you our room but it's too messy... LOL

On Sunday we are off to the BC museum. They have amazing stuff there. Em has all next week off work so we will be hitting the trails and doing the real thing.

See you all soon. Take care and loads of love.